Erie Zoo opened March 1 for its 2023 year!
The zoo is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Last admission is accepted at 4:15 p.m.
So, what’s new at the zoo?
- Two African black-footed penguins arrived in February. They will be introduced to their new colony in the children’s zoo in the spring.
- There are four primates. They’ll share Hilbert Family Primate Habitat space with the eastern black-and-white colobus monkeys.
- Red panda brothers — Lukas and Micah — joined the zoo in the fall. They’re located in the Wild Asia area.
- There are new ambassador animals for community events: Baby alligators and a screech owl.
- The adorable river otters are not on display as their habitat is getting a makeover. It’s the first time the river otters’ area has been updated since 1989.
- Plus, the zoo’s ongoing $10 million Wild Open Spaces and related construction is part of the zoo’s efforts to regain Association of Zoos and Aquariums accreditation.
- And a $3 million state grant will help to build a vet clinic.
Erie Zoo will celebrate its re-grand opening on March 4 with free admission!